Monitoring of climate impact and adaptation in NRW (KFAM NRW)
At the beginning of 2013, the state parliament of North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW) approved the climate protection law NRW. This was the first time in Germany that reduction targets for greenhouse gas emissions as well as the limitation of the negative effects of the climate change with the help of adaptation measures were determined by law.
The steps that must be taken for the realisation of the climate protection goals are presented in the climate protection plan that was approved by the state parliament on the 17th December 2015. The climate protection plan NRW contains measures in the range of climate protection and climate adaptation, which are, in each case, assigned to superordinate strategies and fields of action.
Within the climate protection law NRW, a scientific monitoring of the goals and measures of the climate protection plan is required. The results of the monitoring should be published and be used as guidelines for the updating of the climate protection plan and serve the government as management tool for further controlling and planning of potential measures. We aim at evaluating the realisation of the climate protection goals with the help of monitoring. Furthermore, it should be investigated which measures have been especially useful for the realisation of the stated goals, to modify them, if necessary, in a second step.
Contents and structure of the project:
In accordance with the guidelines of the climate protection law, the ministry for climate protection, environment, agriculture, nature conservation and consumer protection of the state of NRW developed a monitoring concept for the field of climate protection and climate adaptation.
The monitoring includes the following five superordinate fields:
- Survey of the greenhouse gas emissions in NRW
- Monitoring of climate effects
- Monitoring of the implementation of measures of the climate protection plan NRW
- Monitoring of the effects of the measures (inter alia of the climate protection plan NRW) for the fields of climate protection and climate adaptation
- Updating of the scenarios of climate protection
Based on this, the monitoring concept in the field of climate adaptation was specified and the components of the climate protection plan monitoring were assigned to it. In the course of this, the monitoring of the climate effects and adaptation includes four pillars, which break down the components of the climate protection plan monitoring in more detail:
- Pillar 1: climate development: pointing out the previous climate development
- Pillar 2: monitoring of climate effects: climate effects and vulnerabilities (component 2)
- Pillar 3: monitoring of realisation: implementation status of the climate adaptation measures (of the climate protection plan NRW) (component 3) as well as
- Pillar 4: adaptation monitoring: pointing out the development of resilience, also looking at the effects of the climate adaptation measures of the current and the future climate protection plans as well as further adaptation measures (component 4)
Furthermore, additional aspects, such as the recording and assessment of the effects of climate adaptation measures on nature, environment, costs, use, innovation aspects and macroeconomic interdependencies as well as social and employment effects should be evaluated in an impact- analysis.
Thus, there are three elements for the monitoring of climate effects and adaptation that must be considered in the course of this project:
- Monitoring of climate effects: monitoring of the effects of the climate change on humans, nature and environment in North Rhine-Westphalia.
- Monitoring of adaptation: monitoring of the resilience, also looking at effects of conducted adaptation measures in North Rhine-Westphalia.
- Impact-Analysis: recording of social and employment effects of the climate change and the measures of the climate protection plan, further consequences of measures (such as macroeconomic interdependencies) as well as contributing effects and interdependencies with other measures and action levels (e.g. Federation, EU).
The development of the climate effects and adaptation monitoring NRW follows a coherent climate protection plan monitoring in logical connection with the field of climate protection. Therefore, an exchange with indicator concepts and impact analyses in the field of climate protection takes place.
The State of North Rhine Westphalia, represented by the Ministry for climate protection, environment, agriculture, nature conservation and consumer protection of NRW
Contractor and project partners:
State Office for nature, environment and consumer protection of NRW
Antje Kruse, State Agency for Nature, Environment and Consumer Protection of of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia